Pickens-Kane History: A Chicago Success Story for 95 Years
In 1914, Leslie Pickens began expressing baggage from Chicago's train depots to the Gold Coast. James Kane began his moving and storage company in Chicago and would continue to help form Allied Van Lines.
Michael F. Munroe Sr. purchased Pickens Movers at the conclusion of his military duty, U.S. Army, in 1946. Mr. Munroe operated Pickens Movers from a 10 x 10 ft. office at 1476 N. Clark St. and a garage behind the office.
In 1951, he purchased Kane Storage Co. and merged the two companies into one, Pickens-Kane Moving & Storage Co. With the purchase of Kane, they secured the Allied Van Lines operating authority. The list of customers at that time comprised well-known local companies such as Marshall Field and Company, Hammond Organ Co., Simmons Mattress Co. and W. W. Wurlitzer Co.
From 1951 to the present, Pickens-Kane Companies remains privately owned and continues to provide superior customer service. Pickens-Kane continues to add customers while specializing, customizing and innovating its relocation services.
Today, Pickens-Kane Companies is the largest commercial relocation company in the State of Illinois known for worldwide capabilities, which include:
- Office Relocation Service
- Executive Relocation (household moving)
- Domestic and International Relocation
- Fine Art and Antique Services
- Specialty Storage
- Records Retention Service
- Furniture Installation and Support Services
Pickens-Kane Companies owns and operates facilities in Chicago at 410 N. Milwaukee Avenue and 909 W. Bliss Street. In the suburbs, we operate a state-of-the-art facility at 303 Munroe Drive, Bloomingdale, Illinois.